[pgpool-general: 2487] Advisory Locks and session termination

Justin Cooper jcooper at vendwatchtelematics.com
Sat Jan 25 07:01:49 JST 2014

Greetings!

We are using Postgres advisory locks in our application which is using
PGPool's connection pool.

Normally, Postgres will unlock any locks that a database session created
upon session termination.  However, since PGPool is keeping the sessions to
Postgres open for many calls, I wonder how this works.

It looks like this setting:

reset_query_list = 'ABORT; DISCARD ALL'

will cause those SQL commands to be sent to Postgres, which effectively
will clear the session including any advisory locks.

That seems to be working, but I'm wondering if it works for all of the ways
that the application could disconnect from pgpool.  We really don't want
any advisory locks to survive an application session, ever.

Thanks!
Justin