[pgpool-general: 2211] Pgpool2 3.3.0: idle connections

Sergey Arlashin sergeyarl.maillist at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 16:33:47 JST 2013

Hi!

I have the following setup: 1 pgpool2 server with 2 postgresql 9.2 backends with streaming replication.

Recently I've noticed a strange thing - the number of idle pgpool connections on pgpool2 server is very low. Like
# ps uax |grep -i pgpool | grep -i idle | wc -l
1

And the number of idle postgresql connections on backends is much higher
1st-backend# ps uax |grep -i postgres |grep -i idle | wc -l
46

2nd-backend# ps uax |grep -i postgres |grep -i idle | wc -l
47

Also I see a lot of tcp ESTABLISHED connections from pgpool server to postgresql backends.

Could you please explain this behaviour?

Thanks in advance

--
Sergey Arlashin