[pgpool-general: 2176] Re: Is possible to promote a node to master more than one time?

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at postgresql.org
Wed Oct 9 14:20:34 JST 2013

> I have this configuration with pgpool: "Host-1" master and "Host-2" slave,
> if "Host-1" go down, pgpool correctly promotes "Host-2" to be the master;
> but then if "Host-1" return up, pgpool is not aware of this and, if
> "Host-2" go down, pgpool doesn't promote "Host-1" to be the master even if
> "Host-1" is online. I enabled health_check but it seems completely useless,
> because the state of "Host-1" (after it becomes up) is always 3="Node is
> down".
>
> Is it possible to do something like round-robin with backends?

No. Current behavior is the result of design decision made long time
ago.

However if you add "follow_master_command", you can do what you
like. If you are not sure and are looking for an example, you could
check the result of "pgpool_setup". It builds pgpool-II environment
including follow_master_command.
--
Tatsuo Ishii
Japanese: http://www.sraoss.co.jp