[pgpool-general: 1942] pgpool 3.2.4: Watchdog doesn't start if not all "other" nodes are alive

Sam Wouters sam at ericom.be
Fri Jul 26 17:49:18 JST 2013

Hi,

It took me a while to found out what was wrong and I didn't find any
related issues on the web, so I thought I should share;
I'm setting up a three node pgpool cluster (pgpool running on every
database server) and noticed that the watchdog process was stuck after
wd_init. As a result, failover of the pgpool didn't work.

The issue was I was setting up the cluster and didn't setup the third
one yet, but already included it in the pgpool.conf. Apparently the
lifecheck cyclus won't start if at startup time one of the nodes is not
available.
Don't know if this is intended behaviour or changed in newer versions,
but I would think that it would be better to assume nodes are down at
startup, initiate some learning cycles and set there correct status
after that.

regards,

Sam