[pgpool-general: 2080] Re: Suggestion about two datacenters connected through WAN

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at postgresql.org
Tue Aug 27 07:41:04 JST 2013

> Hi Tatsuo.
> I resolved the issue with streaming replication and corrupted postmaster.pid
> by formating disk mounted as PostgreSQL data directory. There wasn't another
> way.
> Hopefully it is resolved.
>
> Only explanation to the pid file issue was the file system corruption like you
> suggested.
>
> Nevertheless I would like to continue to setup Pgpool-II.
> The streaming replication from TC1 to TC2 is working now.
> Pgpool is installed on the node 1 with PostgreSQL in the TC1 and on
> node 1 with PostgreSQL in th TC2.
>
>>From Pgpool manual pages I understand how it would work when TC1 goes down and
> in front of TC1 sits Pgpool, so the Pgpool would be at all times available:
> 1. TC1 goes down.
> 2. Pgpool determines that the PostgreSQL master is unavailable and creates
> trigger file which makes PostgreSQL in TC2 R/W.
>
> But in my case I have installed PostgreSQL with Pgpool on the same server.
> With TC1
> goes also Pgpool down.

No problem. pgpool in TC2 should find that PostgreSQL in TC1 is not
available and promotes PostgreSQL in TC2.

> I don't understand the procedure of fail-over by using secondary Pgpool
> installed in TC2. Is there the same configuration of the Pgpool in TC2?

Yes.

>  Isn't
> this configuration prone to the split-brain situations when network failure on
> the WAN link occures? In that case Pgpool in TC2 makes PostgreSQL master and
> then there will be R/W master in TC1 and also in TC2. Or am I wrong?

Pgpool cannot deal with the split-brain because the network between
TC1 and TC2 are all down. This can be said to any HA software I know
of.

One thing you might want to use for this is,
"trusted_servers". Usually you register router IPs you trust (pgpool
should be able to reach the router) for this. In the split brain case,
if pgpool in TC1 or TC2 finds that it cannot reach the IP anymore, it
sucides to avoid going the split brain.
--
Tatsuo Ishii
Japanese: http://www.sraoss.co.jp