[pgpool-general: 1983] Re: About watchdog with heartbeat mode

Yugo Nagata nagata at sraoss.co.jp
Fri Aug 2 16:53:32 JST 2013

Hi,

On Fri, 2 Aug 2013 00:44:47 -0430
Lazaro Ruben Garcia Martinez <lgarciam at vnz.uci.cu> wrote:

> Hello every one in the list. I am planing to test pgpool 3.3 for developing one solution with this version using the heartbeat mode functionality present in this version, but I have doubts with some configuration parameters in watchdog over heartbeat mode because I do not understand what configuration parameters are used for monitoring the remote pgpool process.
>

> 1. In heartbeat mode, the parameters for monitoring the other pgpool process, are only heartbeat_destination and heartbeat_destination_port?

Yes. heartbeat_destination_device is not necessary.

> 2. The parameters other_pgpool_hostname and other_pgpool_port are used in heartbeat mode or in query mode or both modes?

These are used in both.

> 3. What are the differences between heartbeat_destination, heartbeat_destination_port and  other_pgpool_hostname, other_pgpool_port configuration parameters?

heartbeat_destination and heartbeat_destination are used only for sending heartbeat
signals whose protocol are UDP. other_pgpool_hostname and other_pgpool_port are used
for other watchdog communications such like sending startup packet, down notification,
recovery starting notification, and so on, whose protocol are TCP.

Usually, heartbeat_destinationX is the same as other_pgpool_hostnameX if you use one
communication path for each other pgpool. However, you can use multiple communication
paths of different network segments. For example, when another pgpool's hostnmame is
"host1" and has two NICs (eth0 and eth1) whose IP are 192.168.100.10 and 192.168.200.10
repectively, you can specify these parameters as following;

heartbeat_destination0 = '192.168.100.10'
heartbeat_destination_port0 = 9694
heartbeat_destination1 = '192.168.200.10'
heartbeat_destination_port1 = 9694
other_pgpool_hostname0 = 'host1'
other_pgpool_port0 = 9999

Yugo Nagata <nagata at sraoss.co.jp>