[pgpool-general: 1264] Connections stuck in CLOSE_WAIT

Philip Hofstetter phofstetter at sensational.ch
Sat Dec 29 20:12:39 JST 2012

Hi,

I have recently updated pgpool from 3.2.1 to the latest HEAD in the
3_2_STABLE branch (mainly for
22e045e2f362bb007a72ef1651ed2da897e3aa86) . Since then, I notice that
sometimes connections to pgpool are stuck in a half-closed state which
also causes pgpool to keep the connections to the backend postgres
boxes open.

The connections from the application to pgpool are stuck in CLOSE_WAIT state.

Any idea what may be causing this, and more importantly, how to stop it?

The problem with this is that the pgpool process keeps the connection
open and doesn't accept new connections which will cause it to use up
all slots quite quickly at which point it can't be connected to any
more.

I can forcibly close the connection on the postgres end
(pg_terminate_backend()), but I've had instances where pgpool thought
this was an abnormal termination and subsequently marked the node as
failed.

Philip

--
Sensational AG
Giesshübelstrasse 62c, Postfach 1966, 8021 Zürich